Photos of heroes, 1945 and now                      mtpre-@aol.com

                     Jan 01, 2001 15:59 PST

Hello, everybody:
Happy New Year.
Natalie Peterson, who started our Weihsien bulletin board, has suggested that we nudge our recollections by posting "then" and "now" photos of ourselves and some information to bring everyone up to date. What a great idea! I think only a couple of people have posted the snapshots.
Here are some of mine, in several e-mails, for ease of downloading.
I thought you'd enjoy some of the "then" and "now" photos I included in a photo scrapbook I created a couple of years ago as a Christmas gift for each of the heroes who liberated Weihsien. I tracked them all down in 1997 and then criss-crossed America to visit each one -- survivors and widows.
In Weihsien, I was Mary Taylor, a student in the Chefoo School's Lower School Dormitory (we called it LSD). My sister Kathleen, Jamie, and John and grandpa Herbert Hudson Taylor were also interned in Weihsien. We LSD girls lived first in Block 23 and then, after the escape of Hummel and Tipton, on the second floor of the hospital. I was 12 years old when the Americans parachuted from the B-24 to liberate the camp, August 17, 1945.
I started my career as a high school teacher --English and journalism -- until our daughter, Alice, was born. Alice is an attorney who also helps me take very elementary steps on the Internet. For nearly 27 years I've directed a youth detention center that serves the toughest-of-the-tough delinquent teenagers -- about 1,600 a year. My book, HUNGRY GHOSTS, tells about Weihsien as well as the astonishing story of how a suburban housewife (me) took over an exploding juvenile lock-up and turned it around. I'm now also serving my second term in the New Jersey state legislature and continue
to speak to audiences around the country.
I hope all of you will also bring us up to date with your own stories and snapshots.

Mary Taylor Previte

RE: The lists you are compiling, Ron.     Have you these.....?                      David Birch

             Jan 01, 2001 23:36 PST

Ron,

A family who returned at the same time as the Chefoo party were named 'Turner.' The Turners had two sons,  Micky and Peter, both likeable boys about the same age as my brother John and I, (John Alfred Birch, b. 04Mar1934 and I, GDB b. 25Nov1931).
We all, the Chefoo party and the Turners (possibly others too) came in to Vancouver, CANADA via Great Northern Railroad from Oakland, California, in the evening of Thursday, 08Nov1945.
I recall seeing a quotation in, I think, the 'Vancouver Province' newspaper, probably dated the tenthNovember1945, although it could have been Friday, the ninth's issue, quoting Mr. Turner as saying the camp experience included 'slow starvation.'
At the time, I recall thinking and mentioning to someone in our group that this really was an exaggeration. However, within a very few years, I realized that Mr. Turner had been correct in his remark. In 1948 I began receiving hospital care that a remarkable medical doctor, Leslie Arthur Patterson, MD, attributed to what he termed ADRENAL CORTICAL STARVATION resulting from prolonged malnutrition in a Japanese camp during World War Two. Dr. Patterson was, I believe, a remarkably knowledgeable medical practitioner. He was a 'disciple' of a Dr. John Gregory who practiced medicine in California, USA. He even took my file with him down to California to confer with Dr. Gregory. Dr. Patterson had a very large part in enabling me to have sufficient self confidence to walk out of a Provincial mental hospital with my sanity intact.
Anyway, Ron, there are the Turners. Do you have them on your list. The younger Turner lad walked with a limp.
Do you have Dr. Eugene Chan on your list? His father was a medical practioner who lived in our camp at Weihsien. Eugene was known as "Junior Chan" and was a pitcher on one of the softball teams, a good pitcher too.
When I was fifteen or sixteen, and home was a dairy farm which my father was purchasing, and the Birch boys and girls were helping our parents to 'make a go of' Eugene walked over from the "Dyke Road" now known as Wharf Street. Our farm was bounded by the Fraser River on the south. Apparently the Dr. Chan's family had relatives living in a home by the river's edge. The Chans may not have actually been considered British subjects at the time. It was not till soon after the war that Canadians of Chinese descent were accorded the right to hold Canadian citizenship.
Thanks again, Ron, for the work you are doing.

Very sincerely,

David Birch
GDB/b.25Nov1931
p.s. Jr. Chan, practices medicine (he is a dermatologist):
                Dr. Eugene J. Chan
                523-625-5th Avenue
                New Westminster, BC
He lives in West Vancouver:
                Dr. Eugene J. Chan
                3664 Cedaridge Place
                West Vancouver, BC
He may recall some names of people he knew. (We used to have baseball games with 'Britain vs. America.')

Re: Photos of heroes, 1945 and now

 David Birch

 Jan 01, 2001 23:36 PST

Thank you Mary.
You are an inspiration.
May blessings abound in 2001 for you. I quite clearly recall you now. Looking out your window overlooking
where Torje and I used to play basketball.
David
GDB(b.11/1931)

Overload!                      Linton Conway

                     Jan 02, 2001 00:12 PST

Dear Mary and other ex-Chefusians,

I feel I have to get in now and ask to unsubscribe from this bulletin  board. Having just spent 16 minutes downloading 10 pages of photos and  material, and then to read an invitation for everyone else to start  sending in their photos as well. HELP! Please. I think there ought to be  some self-imposed restrictions on how much material is sent round. With  respect, there are those of us with other things to do in life as well,  and to have the email constantly taken up with two or three Weihsien  stories or comments every time you switch on, gets a bit heavy. I would  suggest that if anyone has larger amounts of material they alert the BB  to that and let those who want it request it.
Sorry if I sound ungrateful - I'm not. I confess I was not at Weihsien  myself (though several friends and relations were), but as the Secretary  of the CSA in New Zealand, I came on the BB, on behalf of one or two that  did not have email. Even they are now wearying a little I'm sad to say. I  have read some amazing stories and feel that I know so much more about  the internship - all of which causes me to praise a wonderful God for His  care and deliverance. More amazing still to see the way God is using this  event nearly 60 years later to bring further blessing and opportunities  for witness and testimony.
I must confess I don't know how to unsubscribe - so if whoever put me on  could take me off, that would be appreciated. Thanks for everything.
Linton Conway
New Zealand

Re: Overload!

 Beard

 Jan 02, 2001 01:06 PST

As the person who downloads the email and prints it off for David, I sympathise with Linton. Large graphics attachments take time to download and may be in a format recipients cannot open. I think it would be better if messages to the List were restricted to plain text. If anyone has photos available, they could send a plain text message to say what was available and in what format it could be sent. Then anyone who wanted the photos could have them sent to their own personal email address.
Margaret Beard

Linton Conway,
As per request, I have taken your name off our list. Sorry.
Natasha Petersen
Mary,
I have been able to download only some of the photos. Thank you so much. I know that there are messages that perhaps do not interest all of us. I have printed many, and intend to do something with them. At this time, I am putting them in a separate folder.
Natasha

RE: The lists you are compiling, Ron.     Have you these.....?

 Joyce Bradbury (nee Cooke)

 Jan 03, 2001 03:11 PST

David Birch. Re your message to Ron about the Turners in Weishien. I can add a little to the story of that family because they were in the same living room as my family and me separated only by a clear glass sliding door which had a sheet covering the glass. Nora Turner, the mother erected that sheet. We lived in this way for the whole of the period we were
In the camp and consequently, came to know them very well indeed. We were in the only block which had two stories and the de Zutters lived above us. The boy with the limp had a shoe with a special spring to help him walk because of what is now known as polio. There was also a sister, the youngest child, named Barbara. I am interested in whatever became of the family. Doctor Chan had two sons, Guy and Eugene and they were in the camp. Dr. Chan was our family doctor in Tsingtao before the war and he attended to me when I had typhoid. Guy Chan is known as junior and his younger brother is Eugene. Guy Chan is now a professor in ophthalmology and is married to an ophthalmologist. They have two grown up children, Paul and Maria. My husband and I had lunch with them in Atlanta several years ago. I think Dr. Chan's wife originally came from Canada. Junior Chan signed my autograph book in Weishien on 9 Oct., 1943.

FW: Weihsien memories from Franciscan nuns

 Joyce Bradbury (nee Cooke)

 Jan 03, 2001 03:14 PST